Belkin BSV701-08-WM Belkin 7-Outlet Surge Protector with 8-Feet Cord
CUSTOMER REVIEW
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?) We've used this Belkin Surge Protector that I got via the Vine Program for a few weeks. As others have mentioned it is difficult to test and review its most important feature, surge protection, and the ratings does not say much. However, it is easier to have an opinion on most other features.
The Belkin Surge Protector BV107200-06 is based on the MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) technology, which is a popular surge protection technology that is cheap and still effective. However, in general MOV surge protectors will quickly wear out when subject to power surges. The Belkin Surge Protector BV107200-06 has an indicator showing whether it is properly grounded or not, which is an important feature.
There are some things I like about this surge protector. The power on/off button is recessed into the surge protector which makes accidental shut off by dog feet and dog posteriors less likely. Yes we have a problem with that. In addition to seven power outlets it has one input for a phone line and two outputs. It came in handy for my DSL modem. It does not have coax protection. The Belkin Surge Protector BV107200-06 is not heavy and it appears to be sturdy, but somewhat long (16 inch) and wide for a seven outlet surge protector. Another thing I did not like was that the warranty is quite restrictive. It sounds better than it is.
It also has a few features which many people may like but I don't. The flat power plug makes it possible to easily place it behind furniture. However, I don't really need that feature and the plug is not only flatter but wider and harder to thread through tight spaces, which was a feature that I needed. There are surge protectors with shorter cords (three or four feet) but I really need the ones with eight or twelve feet cords, so six feet was a little short for me.
In summary, I don't think it is a great surge protector, but it is a good one.